Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Organisation for creative people

I’m a big fan of systems that boost productivity. You know the kind of thing – using lists, pda’s Outlook, wall-charts, folders. Being a creative person I tend to leave trails of junk behind me, so I try really hard to keep myself organised and productive using systems.

The general rule has it that I set up a new system which keeps me organised for around three weeks. I then only realise that my new system has failed when I stumble across a book, article or blog post on a new organisational system, which prompts me to repeat the cycle once again.

However, since January I’ve been much better that usual. I really think that, this time, I’ve found a system which suits me. It seems like a shameful plug, but the book which turned me around was Organizing from the Right Side of the Brain : A Creative Approach to Getting Organized

My biggest problem has always been starting a new task before completing the last. With the help of the book, I figured out that the biggest contributor to this behaviour was phone calls. A phone call is something that demands immediate attention, and diverts your mind from one task to another. My second major failing was that, while on a call, I would promise to react immediately. This action seals the fate of the previous task, which has now been superseded by the new requirement.

So the first thing I needed to change was the way I dealt with calls. Firstly, if I am engaged in any task, I will not answer the phone to unarranged calls. I will glance at the caller display, but I will not answer. Please do not be offended if you’re trying to call me and I don’t answer. This is the way it MUST be, otherwise I simply won’t be able to cope with the workload I have. Of course there are about five numbers which I will always take the call – think my wife, Ava’s nursery, etc. I ask everyone else to leave a message. When I complete a task (or file it away for the day), I will listen to messages and respond accordingly.

Secondly, I have encouraged the use of email. Email for me is perfect, because I can respond in my own time. I do not use email as a form of chat system – as anyone will know that’s tried to have an email conversation with me. Also, I do not do instant messaging, which is just as disruptive as phone calls (plus I type too slowly!).

Third, I am more realistic in my promises. I now use Outlook to organise my day, and I can easily see what kind of turnaround I can give to a task. Of course if someone needs something urgently that’s fine, it just means I will have to reshuffle my other tasks.

I guess I could summarise my system into 4 main points:

1) I do not answer the telephone to unarranged calls
2) Email is my primary communication method
3) I use Outlook to schedule appointments and calls
4) I transfer the days Outlook tasks to an A4 hardback notebook in the form of a to-do list.

My aim is to clear this list every day, but uncompleted tasks either roll over to the next day, or a rescheduled in Outlook and crossed off the list.

This system is really working for me, but I can clearly see that it wouldn’t work for everyone. Most people probably have to answer calls, otherwise they might miss a sale or a business proposal. I guess the point is that you need to look at your own circumstances, identify you own weak points, and build a system to compensate for them.

Anyway, another day begins and I’m running 8 minutes late…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home