Sunday, June 04, 2006

Social entrepreneur?

I was selling the charity project on the phone earlier, and the guy I was talking to referred to me as a social entrepreneur. Ive never been called this before, and it got me thinking about entrepreneurship in general.

Being described as an entrepreneur has always been my label of choice. I certainly don't feel like a business man - they are far too dull, far too old, and they wear suits!

But what does being an entrepreneur mean to me? It certainly isn't about money. I really don't think that true entrepreneurial spirit is born out of the desire for riches. Hell, if I wanted money I'd have joined a graduate training program for a London bank (as if they'd have me!).

For me its about creating something. It's about rising to a challenge. It's about putting ideas out into the world, and not letting anything stop you from realising them. There is certainly an element of control about it. A desire to control your own world, and your own future. I've always rather recklessly believed that I have control over everything in my life.

If these are the primary drivers for entrepreneurialism, then the only difference between your average entrepreneur and a social entrepreneur is the end result. One is commercial gain, and the other is social gain. The creativity, the drive, the skills and the internal motivation remain the same.

Certainly for me, I feel no differently about this charity project than any other business I've started. They have all totally engaged me, fired me up and allowed me to challenge myself and the world around me. In my eyes there's no alternative - what else could possibly make you feel so alive?

1 Comments:

At 5:50 am BST, Blogger wake said...

hey ,
it would be interesting to know what u think of capitalism ....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home